This week we will be talking about mindfulness – a form of meditation that emphasizes using the breath to stay present in the moment and non-judgmentally recognizing your thoughts, feelings and sensations as they occur. Mindfulness has been shown to help people stay focused, reduce stress, manage anxiety and depression, ease pain, boost gray matter of the brain, boost immune function, and improve compassion.
Finally, come to conference prepared to discuss the questions listed below.
Reading Assignments (III):
- Watch this intro video on Mindfulness.
- Listen to Scott Weingart’s thoughts on Mindfulness – Kettlebells for the Brain.
- Let’s take a look at some research on Mindfulness – how a cell phone app can help us learn mindfulness and improve wellness.
- Read this article on how we can practice mindfulness throughout our workday.
- Download the Headspace app or the Treat app to practice mindfulness.
- Read about Happier Healers – how use of mindfulness meditation apps on a phone have been shown to decrease stress in medical students.
- Read this article on applying mindfulness in our lives.
Questions to Discuss in Conference:
- What is mindfulness?
- What are the benefits of mindfulness?
- Have any of you tried a mindfulness practice?
- How can mindfulness be applied in the ED? Or to improve our experience during residency?