This week we will be talking about sleep and how we improve our sleep patterns despite shift work.
Reading Assignments (III):
- Listen to NPR’s Hidden Brain “Eyes Wide Open” Part 2 audio podcast, which is an overview of the neuroscience of sleep and effects on individual health.
- Read Live Science “Busting the 8-hour sleep myth”
- Read this article on Sleep for Shift Workers “Sleep management for shift workers: Avoiding Sleep Troubles”
- Read this article from the Huffington Post on sleep hygiene.
- Read this literature review on the effects of rotating night shifts.
Discussion Questions for Conference:
- Why do we sleep?
- What are the health concerns over poor sleep?
- How much sleep do we really need?
- What sleep pattern may benefit shift or night workers?
- What are some other tips for good sleep hygiene?